Recent studies suggest that cannabidiol oil could play a role in the treatment of arthritis. Here at Integrated Pain Solutions, we want to present you with all the facts! Continue reading to learn the benefits of CBD Oil in regards to arthritis.
What Is It?
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, also called hemp oil, contains CBD extracts from cannabis plants. Some people use CBD oil to relieve pain associated with chronic conditions, such as arthritis.
CBD oil is the oil derived from hemp, which is a type of cannabis plant. CBD is a type of cannabinoid, which is a chemical that occurs naturally in cannabis plants and is not a psychoactive chemical.
How it Works
CBD may help manage chronic pain by affecting the brain's response to pain signals. Cannabinoids, such as CBD, attach themselves to specialized receptors in a person's brain and immune system. One of these receptors, called a CB2 receptor, plays a role in the immune system by managing pain and inflammation.
Researchers believe that when CBD enters a person's body, it may attach to CB2 receptors. Alternatively, it may cause the body to produce natural cannabinoids that attach to the CB2 receptors. Either way, scientists think CBD affects the way that these receptors respond to the signals that they receive, possibly helping reduce inflammation and pain.
CBD Oil and Arthritis
Arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the United States, affecting over 50 million Americans. The two most common types of arthritis are:
· Rheumatoid arthritis (RA): An autoimmune disease in which a person's immune system attacks their joints, causing inflammation. RA commonly affects the hands and feet and leads to painful, swollen, and stiff joints.
· Osteoarthritis (OA): A degenerative disease that affects joint cartilage and bones, causing pain and stiffness. It often affects the hip, knee, and thumb joints.
Some studies on animals suggest that CBD could help treat arthritis and relieve the associated inflammatory pain:
· A 2011 study found that CBD helped to reduce inflammatory pain in rats by affecting the way that pain receptors respond to stimuli.
· A 2014 review of the existing body of research on animals concluded that CBD may be an effective treatment for OA.
· A 2016 study found that the topical application of CBD had the potential to relieve pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
· A 2017 study found that CBD might be a safe and useful treatment for OA joint pain.
While findings so far have been encouraging, more research is necessary to confirm that CBD oil is an effective treatment for arthritis pain. Are you interested in trying CBD to help manage your chronic pain? Give us a call today at 844-939-7246!